icipe is an Intergovernmental organization funded by government aid agencies, UN organizations and private foundations to carry out research and training in environmentally sound and sustainable management of arthropods for improving health and agricultural productivity in the tropics. icipe has approximately 300 staff to support its research and capacity building programmes, located at various sites in Kenya, Ethiopia and Sudan.
icipe wishes to urgently recruit a suitable candidate to fill the position of Legal Officer to be based at its Headquarters at Duduville campus, Kasarani, Nairobi Kenya. The position is offered on two year contract terms that are renewable.
The main objectives of this position include the following:
* To provide support to management and staff of icipe in the review, negotiation and drafting of research, collaborative and material transfer agreements.
* To provide advice to management and other professional staff of icipe on the icipe Charter and the Headquarters’ Agreement with the Government of Kenya.
* To oversee the process of regularizing / harmonizing Title documents of icipe’s immovable assets.
* To advise management on the management of the Centre’s Intellectual Property and related rights.
* To advise management on appropriate IP strategies to employ in the protection and dissemination of the Centre’s research results in line with its research mission, and this may include but will not be limited to the registration of patents, trademarks and utility models.
* Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree in law from a recognized university
* Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and with admission to practice before the Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI)
* Be a Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public
* Be a Certified Public Secretary (CPS)
* Have at least five years’ working experience in an international organization
* Applicants with another degree in science or a Master’ degree in Business Administration but who have previously carried out registration of patents and other IP related rights will also be considered.
* Be proactive and self motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
* Excellent communication, research, presentation and analytical skills
* Proficient in computer skills (MS- Office suite etc)
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Legal Officer will perform the following duties among other things:
* Draft collaborative research agreements, memoranda of understanding, research contracts etc for collaboration / cooperation between icipe and other parties / partners
* Review research agreements, memoranda of understanding, research contracts for proposed collaboration between icipe and other parties.
* Advise management and staff on new developments on legal matters at national, regional and international level.
* Oversee the maintenance and custodianship of icipe’s immovable assets.
* Oversee maintenance of icipe’s Intellectual Property Rights including coordination of their protection and prosecution.
* Liaise with external counsel
* Carry out other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
A competitive compensation package that provides among others medical, Group life and Group personal accident insurance cover, education allowance for Children and pension will be offered to the right candidate. The appointment will initially be for two years renewable.
Applications will be accepted up to 23 April 2011.
Only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Please send an application with a detailed CV and names and addresses of 3 referees including e-mail addresses, fax numbers, and remuneration package to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
The Human Resources Department
icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health
P.O. Box 30772-00100
icipe is an Equal Opportunity Employer