JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Position: Administrative Assistant Responsible to: - Administration Coordinator
Location: Garissa Closing date: - 18th August 2011
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international Humanitarian organisation working in
situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other
vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their
living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
All camps exist since 1992, put in place to respond to the onset of the civil war in Somalia. They are planned to
host 80.000 persons and are by exceeding its capacities. Mid of July statistics of UNHCR cite the staggering
number of 380.000 refugees. In the last 6 months, 80.000 new arrivals were received in the camps. Only the
last two months saw 60.000 persons arriving feeling the drought and civil war, settling where they would find a
place to put up their make shift shelters.
The rehabilitation project in Dadaab aims to provide and secure tangible and measurable improvement of
independency in activities of daily living and quality of life of refugees living with physical impairment or
Under the line management of the Administration Coordinator, the Administrative Assistant is in charge of
implementing and following up all finances, accountancy and Human Resources procedures in the field. He/she
will work in very close relationships with the Nairobi coordination team.
According to the position, the Administrative Assistant must keep all the data confidential, and share it only with
the accurate persons. Should the employee not comply with these rules, he will be charged for serious
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Based in Garissa, the Administrative Assistant will depend hierarchically on Administration
Coordinator, and has strong functional links with the head of mission in Dadaab.
He/she will ensure all the administrative, Finances and Human Resources tasks, according to the
standard HI principles.
• Cash & Cash Flow Management
• Bills Management and allocation
• Human Resources Management
• Cash Management
1. Treasury Management
• Manage the cash box and report every cash movements on the cash dairy and other relevant documents
• Check cash everyday and report these transactions in petty cash statement
• Grant, follow and ensure reimbursement of advances using appropriate receipt formats
• Check invoices given by other departments and make sure they are correctly translated and validated
2. Bank Management
• Make cash withdrawals from the bank
3. Bill Management
• Check all bills:
• Prepare vouchers (stick invoices on the voucher, fill the designation, fill the donor’s part and the allocation
4. HR Management (team of 2-3 persons)
• Ensure the link between Nairobi office and site location for the signature of all HR documents
• Be part of the recruitment process if needed (in-site)
• Do induction briefing for all new members.
• Ensure staff follow up on site:
o Update employee about HI policies, salary package,
o Follow up and record staff leaves and attendance according to HI procedures
o Follow up and record all documents related to health insurance
o Compile all attendance sheet and check them
5. General requirements
• Act as a team player
• Report any incident to the line management
• Accomplish any other task which may be required by the line management
• Bachelor of Business Administration or Bachelor of Commerce
• Previous experience as administrative assistant or cashier
• NGO experience an asset
• Fluent English
• Fluent in Swahili/somali
• Good practice of excel and word
• High attention to details
• Ability to work within a team
• Ability to work under short deadlines
• Adaptable and flexible
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, kindly send your application along with
an up-to-date CV indicating your salary history and 3 referees with their current contacts by
email to :- firstname.lastname@example.org . The email subject line should be marked:
“Application for Administrative Assistant position”
Only short listed candidates with the above qualifications and skills will be contacted.
Any kind of lobbying on behalf of applicants or canvassing will lead to immediate
It has come to our attention that there are some fraudulent advertisements circulating on
behalf of HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL. Be fully aware that HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL DOES
NOT request for any fees from applicants during the application and/or induction process. Any
occurrence of this kind is to be reported without delay to hrmanager@handicapinternational.
or.ke for further action.
Handicap International is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females and Persons with
Disabilities are encouraged to apply