Thursday, June 16, 2011
KEMRI-WELCOME TRUST RESEARCH PROGRAMME::KENYAN NGO JOBS::RESEARCH OFFICER
KEMRI-WELCOME TRUST RESEARCH PROGRAMME
Please note that the listed positions WILL BE CLOSED on the closing date. This means the applications must be submitted BEFORE the
HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICER
Reference Number: HSO5-11
Salary: Dependent on qualification and experience
The main job purpose is to ensure the Programme's compliance with legal and other regulatory requirements regarding Health and
Safety in the entire Programme premises.
The post holder reports to the Chief Operating Officer
The Health & Safety Officer will work closely with Senior Managers, and establish close working relationships with all members of
staff across the entire Programme, including those working in its satellite research sites.
• Coordinating the implementation of the Health and Safety programmes which are consistent with the Programme’s Health &
• Implementing effective safe work control procedures and systems in the workplace in order to comply with legal and other
regulatory guidelines, which will be applied consistently by all employees throughout the Programme’s facilities.
• Carrying out regular workplace health and safety inspections and audits to ensure that Health & Safety policies are being
effectively implemented and followed; maintaining records of the inspection and audit findings and liaising with Senior
Managers in coordinating implementation of the recommendations.
• Keeping up to date with new legislation and maintaining a working knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) and
Environmental legislation and developments in biomedical and healthcare industry and liaising with regulatory agencies (e.g.,
Directorate of Occupational Safety and Health Services (DOSHS), National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), etc.
to ensure compliance.
• Liaising with relevant government regulatory authorities and approved Health & Safety Advisers and service providers on
health and safety matters, including statutory OSH trainings (fire safety, first aid etc) and audits.
• Maintaining system for recording, reporting and investigating workplace injuries, accidents/incidents and dangerous
occurrences involving staff and company equipment, providing monthly statistical summaries to Management and drawing
attention to significant trends and occurrences.
• Liaising with the Human Resource Department and Senior Management to identify, coordinate, and conduct Health and
Safety trainings and induction for all employees, students and visitors.
• Liaising with Human Resource Department and the Occupational Health Service Nurse to establish an Occupational Health
Service database, including management of records of staff vaccinations, occupational injuries and illnesses, and statutory
• Coordinating investigations on workplace health and safety concerns, accidents/incidents, dangerous occurrences, injuries and
ill health as outlined in the OSH Act 2007 and other relevant legislation and guidelines.
• Coordinating the Health and Safety Committee meetings and take minutes of discussions.
• Coordinating Waste Management Program for Programme.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
• A Bachelor of Science degree in a relevant field (Biomedical, Environmental Sciences, Health & Safety related, Engineering or
• Postgraduate training in Occupational Safety and Health will be an added advantage.
• In depth knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) 2007 and other related regulatory legislation and
• At least two (2) years working experience in implementing Health & Safety management systems in a medium to large
institution/company, experience in a research environment or healthcare institution will be an added advantage.
• Excellent computing skills including Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
• Work planning skills
• A good team player with excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively within multidisciplinary and multicultural
• Good communication (including both oral and written) skills.
• Effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize, organize and work independently under minimal
To apply, please copy the link below as your web address:
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. The application closing date is 14th
June 2011. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Reference Number: DM-06-2011
Category: Statistics and Data Management
Salary: Kshs. 77, 170 - Kshs. 98, 182
Grade: 4.8 - 4.15
CLICK TO READ MORE>>