GRANTS MANAGER (PK/GM/2011)
Location: Nairobi, Dagorreti Corner
Reporting to the Head of Finance & Grants, the Grants Manager will be based in Nairobi and will primarily ensure proper functioning
of the entire grants management function.
This will include monitoring the entire grants management process from solicitation through close out and ensuring proper compliance
with all donor regulations. He/she will play a leadership role towards supporting Pact Kenya and its partner CSOs in achieving
rigorous financial and grants reporting and management.
The incumbent will be in charge of the quality standards of the tools and materials Pact Kenya uses to deliver effective grants and
financial services to its partners.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Grants management vision, leadership and team management
• Provide leadership and vision for grants management personnel
• Ensure that all grant documentation is maintained according to Pact standards and donor policies to the extent they can
be fully audited with limited or no adverse findings
• Develop procedural documents and processes and ensure full understanding of the grants management process at all
levels within the program.
• Ensure proper implementation of competitive processes for grantee selection and negotiation.
• Ensure that solid documentation is provided under each grant
• Coordinate proposal review and oversee grant selection
• Ensure that pre-award risk assessments are carried out on each grantee and that decisions are incorporated into grant
• Ensure strong links between the grants management and capacity building approach to maximize efforts to strengthen
strategic partners and build in strategies to the grant making process
• Ensure strong links between the grants management and M&E systems to improve grantee reporting and link to Pact
• Play a supervisory role to the grants staff under the program
B. Proposal/grant management coordination/oversight
• Coordinate grants management systems across programs to ensure high quality and consistency
• Develop written grants policy and procedures to ensure clear understanding by all staff
• Ensure responsible proposal processing and timeliness of responses to agencies
• Analyse, verify and review proposal budgets to ensure donor compliance and reasonableness
• Coordinate proposal review process and ensure compliance with solicitations and donor regulations
• Coordinate pre-award evaluations and/or assessments of potential grantees, as needed
• Oversee post project assessments of both administrative and financial systems
• Ensure proper documentation of award negotiation
• Ensure that grant modifications for cost/program changes are completed accurately and in a timely fashion
• Prepare grant documents that meet both grantee and donor requirements and allow for required programmatic flexibility
• Ensure the timely and appropriate close-out of issued grants
C. Capacity building coordination
• Coordinate grant recipients organizational assessments, identified in collaboration with the capacity building officers.
Oversee the development of a tracking system to monitor and measure growth.
• Collaborate with the capacity building specialist to identify priority areas for training of partners and develop strategic
interventions to assist grantees/partners.
• Coordinate the development of training materials for staff on understanding the grants management system.
• Coordinate the development of training materials for staff/grantees on compliance with donor regulations.
• Coordinate the development of training materials for potential grantees on proposal preparations and budgeting skills.
• Coordinate various training courses for staff and grantees on grants management, financial management, proposal and
budget development, and other necessary skills. Identify key areas and initiate new training.
• Coordinate, organize and facilitate (as necessary) grants management workshops for grantees/partners to provide
guidance on good grants management.
D. Monitoring and reporting (financial and programmatic)
• Collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation team to design reporting templates for inclusion in grants and in grantee
training that directly address our M&E requirements.
• Monitor grantee advance and liquidation balances closely and ensure timely liquidations.
• Review all payment requests to ensure they meet the standards of allowable, allocable and reasonable.
• Manage grantee budgets so that they do not exceed allowable amounts.
• Review program reports from grantees to ensure programmatic compliance against program description.
• Review financial reports from grantees to ensure finance compliance against grant budget.
• Assist in the compilation of data and preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
• Oversee the updating and maintenance of the grant tracking database.
• Ensure consistency and accuracy of information. Use the database to produce key reports to support decisions by
• Closely monitor obligations from donors and grant obligations to grantees to ensure that Pact Kenya never commits more
funds than allowable.
E. Compliance audit coordination
• Monitoring grantee procedures designed to comply with regulations.
• Coordinate the investigation of suspected violations of proper applications. Ensure that the team has the skills or readily
available resources (i.e., identified consultants) to carry this out in a timely fashion.
• Coordinate the assistance to grantees to resolve audit problems.
• Oversee monitoring of grantee’s procedures designed to comply with agreed regulations.
• Coordinate the investigation of suspected violations of applications. Ensure that the team has the skills or readily
available resources (i.e. identified consultants and auditors) to carry this out in a timely fashion.
• Coordinate the assistance to grantees to resolve audit problems identified in audit management letters
The minimum required academic and professional skills for the jobholder to perform successfully in their job are:
• Bachelor’s Degree in a Commerce, Accounting or related business field
• Master’s Degree in relevant field will be an added advantage
• Certified Public Accountant of Kenya (CPA-K) or ACCA qualifications
• Eight years work experience managing financial administration of major donor grants and contracts
• At least five years’ experience in administering grants and contracts
• Highly proficient in MS Office, spreadsheets and database skills
• Good experience working with ACCPAC or any large computerized financial system
• Working knowledge of regulations applicable to grants management and administration
• Good analytical skills to successfully perform financial reviews and other quantitative analyses
• Effective written and oral communications skills
• Ability to independently prioritize and successfully perform assigned tasks
• Familiarity with major donors’ auditing requirements and demonstrated ability to exercise basic financial oversight of grant
Applicants must submit
• detailed and current CV
• cover letter demonstrating why they qualify for this position
• contact information for 3 referees; and
• indicate current remuneration package.
Only candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted.
If you meet the requirements for the advertised position, please submit your application and CV electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org,
quoting the Reference Number (PK/GM/2011).
Pact Kenya is an equal opportunities employer
Deadline for applications submission is 5:00pm Friday 17th June 2011